Saturday, September 4, 2010

Through the Eyes of an Artist - 9/4/2010

This afternoon while Skooter was walking me, I saw a lady snapping photos in my neighborhood. A short discussion revealed that she was from the Midwest and this was her first visit to the south. She said she found the scenery breathtaking. Being a Seinfeld fan, I know that “breathtaking” can be interpreted many ways (Lobster episode). She told me that she was an artist and planned to use the photos she was taking as subjects for a series she planned on painting, called “Southern Exposures”. She caused me, for the first time, to actually look at where I live. When she had gone, I snapped a few photos with my crappy cell phone camera. I was motivated, but still too lazy to go in a get my camera.

I have always appreciated living on the water, but have never paid much attention to that which I see every day, but don't really look at.

All of these were taken within a couple of hundred yards of where I sleep, grill, and sit at the computer.

She was looking through the eyes of an artist. I don’t look at the world through the eyes of an artist, primarily because I have no artist skills. I peaked as an artist when I made a turkey from the outline of my hand in Kindergarten. But today, this chance encounter encouraged me to focus on the scenic splendor that surrounds me every day, but I take for granted.

Reflecting (as I always do) on this revelation, I realized that I should apply this same concept to my own life. I am mostly disappointed in my “little” life. I let days, months, years pass without appreciating the simple joys that I experience. They go relatively unnoticed. As this woman taught me, “every photo doesn’t have to be the Grand Canyon,” I suppose every hit doesn’t have to be a home run. Sometimes you win by dribbling one through the infield. As a person who has not hit many out of the park, maybe I should be happy just getting to first base once in a while. I am guessing this metaphor will be lost on both my readers, but it sounded good when it was inside my head.

Will this lesson stay with me? Probably not. It may just be the combination of an energy drink and OxyContin that has provided me with this clarity. Perhaps there was no woman there at all. There usually isn’t.











Even my dumpster is surrounded by beauty.





8 comments:

Scott B said...

Great read, Rick. You do live in an amazing area.

Nadja said...

How can you say you are not an Artist? Your writings are Art. They are funny, inspiring, contemplative, lovely. Art. You are an Artist, and should live your life living in the beauty that surrounds you.

I love your cell phone photos. I can't wait to get back to the South. Can I come visit and meet you when I do make it back? You can grill me up a big fat steak, and Scooter can decide whether or not he likes me. :)

Linda May said...

G'Day, I came via Fb. Thanks for letting me peek at your surrounds, they look lovely. I especially love the tree with the spanish moss.Some cute little double entendre's in there too, hahahaha.

Shammi said...

Gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Yep, ephiphanies are stimulating - even if brief. However, if you can hold this encounter, thoughts and use this experience as a metaphor (yeah, I am big on metaphors)for lots of things (I try to)you will even have better writings as well. And see you are artistic...it is appreciation as well as execution. By the way writing is VERY artistic...don't sell your talents short Mr. Ramblings!!!!! Sounds like Skooter took you on more than a walk this day! Take care....co

myrtle beached whale said...

I think I am very autistic.

Anonymous said...

I may be late in reading but you're right. I like this one. Even if the home/first base metaphor made me pray you were talking about the sport metaphor and not the other metaphor. lol Hoping you hold on to this thought. I think you have had more homeruns than you think. Love ya, Carly

awareness said...

So often it takes another person to help us change the lens through which we look at our surroundings. Your photos do capture beauty and your home area is so different looking than mine....

which is has made me realize that it's time to change my own lens and go out in my neighbourhood too!