Thursday, September 11, 2008

Skooter's Annual Check-up

I am sure that both of you who read my postings have noticed that I have focused on Skooter recently. Well, before he came into my life, my creativity account was bankrupt. I was as clueless as Ferris Bueller’s parents. He has inspired me to write again. So bear with me. I am not changing the name of my blog to “The Adventures of Skooter.”: But it does have a nice ring to it.

I took Skooter to the Vet for his annual check-up at the Carolina Forest Veterinary Hospital. It was a very nice, highly organized clinic. They have treatment rooms just like in a homosapien doctor’s office. Your pet doesn’t come in contact with any of the other animals being treated, preventing the obligatory butt sniffing and chaos that would surely ensue in the waiting room.

It was obvious that the veterinarians and their assistants (there were several of each) on duty honestly love animals.

You only have to watch a single episode of House to realize all doctors do not have affection for their patients. I’m sure you are thinking, “Hey moron, House is not a real doctor.” Well, I want to believe he is. If I am having a seizure, bleeding out, or have some disease that I can’t pronounce, I want Greg House working on me. I don’t care how big a jerk he is to me. When I am flat lining, I could care less about bedside manner. Just cure me.

But I want a vet who is nice to my dog. As they were examining and vaccinating Skooter, their soft reassuring voices eased his anxiety. The vet that treated him even called me at home to see if Skooter had any ill effects from the injections. He showed genuine concern.

All of this professionalism and care did not come cheap. I had not owned a dog in several years nor have I ever owned a dog in the south, where parasites and disease run rampant and it is a full-time job keeping the legions of worms out of a dog’s colon. About all you needed in the northwest, where I come from, are a rabies shot and a flea collar. I am certain that for the price of Skooter’s vet visit, the Cartwrights could have had the Ponderosa’s entire herd treated. But it was worth every Doubloon for Skooter to receive a clean bill of health. Nice that one of us is enjoying wellness. Skooter’s weight of 32 pounds was ideal for a 5-year-old male beagle. At my last check-up my weight was perfect for a 5-year-old blue fin tuna.

5 comments:

paisley said...

i have an awesome vet too... and i am anxiously awaiting the day she invites me over to have a look at the five room addition i have put on her house in the last few years......

but i have to agree,, it is worth every penny......

and i would change scooters weight to 24 lbs... those H.O.A.'s can be real beotches.....

Redheels said...

Loved your post. And you are right, I don't care about bed side manner for myself either, but I do want my dog treated "right".

In the last few days, I have spent almost $500 on Roxanne and she is worth every penny.

Lucy said...

I say CHANGE that name to Adventures of Skooter! haha TOO funny Or LIfe with skooter! It's so great how he has inspired your creativity Rick!
YOur vet sounds like a dream come true!
I love mine, but he has NEVER done the day after injections call. ( i wish he would call,he is such a cutie pie!!)
so happy Skooter is a healthy friend.

Forgetfulone said...

The last line of this post cracked me up! Glad Skooter has a clean bill of health. I didn't realize we in the south had more to worry about with our pets. I was bummed... till you really cracked me up!

Michael DeAntonio said...

skooter looks precious