Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Whirlpool - Poetry Thursday Submission

Life is like a salmon's swim
Upstream to spawning ground
As one obstacle is overcome
A new one is soon found

At journey's start, just as the fish
We are strong and sure
Determined to reach our goals
And able to endure

With every barrier that we cross
And bruise that we receive
And each time that we try and fail
A part of us we leave

I came upon a crippled fish
Being washed back to the sea
Belly-up and spinning round
And I marveled...how like me

6 comments:

Pinehurst in my Dreams said...

Excellent! A poem I could understand and enjoy!

abby - the geek girl said...

This poem benefits from being read aloud. I really liked the last stanza and the rhyme scheme... so few poets rhyme these days :)

myrtle beached whale said...

Pinehurst:
Fortunately, you appreciate simplicity. I will certainly never write over anyone's head.

Abzdragon:
Sometimes I get a bit sing-song, but I am glad you liked it.

Pinehurst in my Dreams said...

Thanks - I also appreciate complexity - but not in poetry. More in flowers and ideas, I suppose.

Tagging you for "optional" meme. Info on my site.

Pinehurst in my Dreams said...

I like this poem even more, everytime I read it. It is a microcosm of life - where we all struggle to get ahead, and end up getting swirlies instead!

Sorry, about the rhyme. . .it just popped out, so I went with it!

myrtle beached whale said...

I see where you are going with this:

Just another hopeless biped
Washed up on life's riverbed