Friday, June 8, 2007

Music of the Night - My apologies to Sir Andrew Lloyd Weber

Pinehurst in My Dreams gave me a prompt because I was bitching that Poetry Thursday had gone on hiatus and I need a kickstart to write. She chose "bullfrog". At first I thought how stupid of a prompt that was, but in a few minutes I came up with this.

Music of the Night

Each night outside my window
A cacophony of sound
Natures orchestra Serenades me
It’s instruments abound

Crickets provide percussion
While calling to their mates
Owls ask their eternal question
Their vocals captivate

And when I stop to listen
I can’t help but rejoice
Providing bass and baritone
The bullfrog adds its voice

So open up your windows
To the music of the night
You won’t need a sedative
To relax ‘til morning light

Though sometimes out of rhythm
And usually off key
The creatures of the darkness
Provide a symphony

2 comments:

Pinehurst in my Dreams said...

Wow - I like it! It has a slow rhythm (the way I read it). And it does lull one to sleep with it's cadence.

Bullfrog was just the first word that popped into my mind. Now I wish we had some here.

Did ALW write a song by that title? I guess I'm out of the loop on that one!

myrtle beached whale said...

well, it was nice that you noticed my slow cadence. Most people don't seem to read poems at the tempo they were intended.
As for ALW, he did a little thing called "Phantom of the Opera". The song "Music of the Night" sung by Michael Crawford, is one of the most beautiful pieces ever written. You really should get out more.